Physics Set 1
Union Public Service Commission (UPSC),
Indian Administrative Service (IAS),
On This Page
This set of General Science Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on Physics Set 1
Q1 | Which of the following measurements is not a unit of distance?
Q2 | Which one of the following remains constant while throwing a ball upward?
- Kinetic energy
Q3 | Pure water freezes at what temperature?
- 47 F
- 32 F
- 0 F
- 19 F
Q4 | Which vitamin is abundant in citrus fruits?
- . Vitamin A
- . Vitamin B
- . Vitamin C
- . Vitamin D
Q5 | Which of the following statements is not true regarding LASER?
- A LASER is a device that emits light through a process of optical amplification .
- LASER beams can be focused to very tiny spots, achieving a very high irradiance.
- The emitted LASER light is notable for its high degree of dispersive power unattainable using other technologies.
- LASER light is used in bar-code scanners
Q6 | If a moving body turns its speed to 1.5 times, what will be the impact on its kinetic energy?
- will become 1.5 times
- will become 3 times
- will become 2.25 times
- will become 6 times
Q7 | Two Flat mirrors are placed at an angle of 60° from each other. How many images will be formed of a Candle placed in between them?
Q8 | A tourist, who plans to visit a hill station located at very high altitude also wishes to take along his Television Set. In this context, consider the following:LCD TVPlasma TVCathode Ray Tube TVWhich among the above are expected to work properly at very high altitudes?
- Only 1
- 1 & 2
- 1 & 3
- 2 & 3
Q9 | If an egg with shell is placed in a microwave oven, which among the following would most likely happen?
- The egg will not get warmed
- The egg will get cooked slowly similar to a boiled egg
- The egg shell will explode
- The egg shell becomes yellow
Q10 | Which among the following is the SI physical unit of dynamic viscosity?
Q11 | Which among the following phenomena of the optics makes the Endoscopy capable of examining the internal organs such as Abdomen?
- Total Internal Reflection
Q12 | An antenna in a Geostationary satellite should have a minimum beam width of which among the following values to cover the entire earth?
Q13 | A piece of Ice was tied with a string to a water bucket‘s bottom, and the water bucket was filled with water with ice fully submerged in it. What would be the impact on the level of water when the ice melts away completely?
- The level of water will go up
- The level of water will go down
- The level of water will remain unchanged
- The level of water will first increase then come to the previous on
Q14 | A ?Charge-coupled device? in the modern Digital Cameras has replaced which among the following in the traditional Cameras?
- Photographic film
- Flash equipment
Q15 | An instrument called ?Theodolite? is used in which among the following ?
- Measuring distances, elevations, bearings etc.
- Measuring rotational speed of a shaft
- Measuring horizontal and vertical angles in triangular networks
- Measuring acidity or alkalinity of solutions
Q16 | A person is standing in front of a wall and makes a sound. What should be the normal minimum distance between the person and the wall , so that the person hears echo?
- 6 meters
- 13 meters
- 20 meters
- 17 meters
Q17 | A long Rail (approximately 700 meters) made up of steel is struck to produce a sound. The person standing on the other end of the rail would hear in which among the following pattern?
- He listens the sound waves once propagated via steel
- He listens the sound waves once propagated via air
- He listens the sound waves twice, first propagated via steel and second propagated via air
- He listens the sound waves twice, first propagated via air and second propagated via steel
Q18 | Which among the following is studied under ? fulminology??
- Sudden changes in atmosphere
- Volcanic Eruptions
Q19 | Which among the following has the lowest frequency Range?
Q20 | How does the Isotope of Iodine, Iodine-135 plays an important role in Nuclear Power Generation?
- It is used as a fuel supplement in some of the modern Nuclear Reactors
- It is a bi-product of Nuclear Reaction which kills the neutrons and this inhibits the power formation
- It is a moderator used actively in the Nuclear Reactors
- It is an experimental substance for Nuclear Fusion
Q21 | Which among the following is the correct statement about Black Ice?
- It is the product of the freezing of water droplets in highly polluted air
- It is the thin transparent layer of ice made up usually on roads and pavement
- It is the solid Carbon Dioxide
- It is the frozen water of a highly polluted river
Q22 | In many countries with cold climates, the municipalities often sprinkle salt on icy roads in winter. Which among the following is the correct reason for this?
- The Salt inhibits the formation of Ice Crystals
- The Salt lowers the Freezing Point of water
- The Salt raises the freezing Point of water
- The salt provides necessary friction to the tires of the vehicles
Q23 | Consider the following:1. Near Infrared2. Mid Infrared3. Far InfraredWhich among the following is the correct order of increasing wavelength of the above?
Q24 | Which among the following is measured by an Odometer?
Q25 | The term ?Isopycnic? is most closely defined by which among the following?
- Two places with same atmospheric pressure
- Two liquids with same viscosity
- Two liquids with same density
- Two places with same temperature